Friday, August 31, 2007

Time for a new phase

Marriage is teamwork. We've been at this for just over 4 years now and of all the projects we've tackled together, my favorite has been our Sunday school class that we've taught together this past year.

When I helped in VBS a year ago, I really felt God's call to teach Sunday school. Aaron and I talked and prayed about it and decided to volunteer. We were thinking youth or perhaps older kids, but were told that those positions were filled. When the nominating committee called and told us that they had an opening in the "Creepers" class, toddlers old enough to walk but younger than 2, I almost said no. I had never worked with kids that small and had no idea how to teach them. Aaron and I talked about it and he thought it sounded like a lot of fun. I hesitantly said that we would teach this class.

What a blessing it has been! We have had the joy of watching these toddlers go from babies to little kids. We've also really enjoyed getting to know their parents. The picture below shows one of the favorite activities--playing with cars.
Aaron and I divided up the class responsibilities--his job, as my helper, was to wrangle toys, play and hold the ones who were crying when dropped off. (He is really good at soothing crying kids!) He also was in charge of juice count, juice and snack distribution and leading the prayer before snack. My job, as director, was to welcome the kids, reassure parents that we would have fun, put notes in the diaper bags for parents, sing our songs while playing guitar before snack time and teaching the lesson. Needless to say, both of us were necessary to make this whole process work. Aaron was also in charge of helping the kids clap and be involved during music time. The girls below loved singing and clapping along with the music. I loved teaching these children about Jesus and his love for them. Anyone who says toddlers are too young to learn about Jesus is mistaken. They really listened when I taught them. They especially liked it when I would use puppets. My 1st graders would always respond well with puppets, so it was no surprise that younger kids would, too.

My favorite teaching time was Christmas when I would use the Little People nativity to act out the Christmas story for them. I just loved telling the Christmas story in its beautiful simplicity: God sent his son to save us, as a baby, just like them. How beautiful! I also really loved teaching about Noah's ark and God's promise to not flood the earth again, but to always take care of us. That was also my favorite toy to use to play with the kids.
Even though Aaron didn't formally teach lessons like I did, he taught with his example. Shannon, Trace's mom, told me that when they pray at home she encourages her kids to hold hands, but Trace insists on putting his hands together in front of him, just like Mr. Aaron does in Sunday school when he prays.

When Aaron and I realized twins would be joining our family before too long, I told him that I just didn't think we could keep up the responsibility of teaching the class when it came time to begin a new class in September. It really disappointed him. He has really enjoyed it. I have, too, but changing dirty diapers bothers me more than it does him (ironic since I'm the one who will be staying home to do that full time with Walt and John) and the further along I get in my pregnancy, the tougher it is physically for me to lift the kids and do all the things they need for me to do. Also, Traci, a friend who had twins last spring, told me there will be Sunday mornings where I'll just need to sleep in and not feel bad about it. I know she's right.

Last Sunday was our last time to teach these precious children. It has been so much fun to work beside Aaron. He will be such a wonderful father. It's been fun to watch him be a Godly example for these little children. Some men serve as deacons, some as pastors and some as toy wranglers and snack blessers. I know that God uses every one of them for his glory.

Now it's time for us to join our Sunday school department, which I'm looking forward to because I always enjoy the ladies nights I've attended with them. Aaron and I are sure that in another phase of our lives we'll teach again.

No comments: