Thursday, August 23, 2007

Fun with friends this weekend

Last year, I attended the Women of Faith conference with a group of ladies from my church. I was a bit nervous because I was still relatively new to the church and didn't know where I "fit" with the ladies who would all be going. Also, the buses were to leave at 4:30 Friday afternoon, at the end of the first week of school and I wasn't sure if I could truly have everything wrapped up in time not to miss the bus.

Suffice it to say, my worries were unneccessary, as they usually are. I had a wonderful time listening to inspiring speakers, singing songs of praise to the Lord and building relationships with ladies from my church.

One particular speaker that was fun to listen to was Robin McGraw, Dr Phil's wife. She spoke about the importance of taking time for ourselves as women and not always giving to others. She even told this funny story about Dr Phil--something about when their car was making funny noises he coaxed her to get into the trunk to listen. He closed the trunk and drove around the block. She laughed as she told the story, but I doubt she laughed at the moment of the event. She thought she could tell this story without her husband knowing it, but it turns out he popped in for a special cameo appearance. She just about died!

I also heard a fabulous Christian singer--Natalie Grant. She sang such rich, beautiful songs that really touched me. I've since sung 2 of them in church and I love listening to her Awaken CD and playing and singing the songs at home. Sometimes I get so carried away singing her songs that Aaron asks me if I can sing and play a little quieter. The other night I told him if I can listen to his loud tuba playing regularly, he can stand a bit of noise from the piano now and then.

But the best thing that came from Women of Faith was the friendships that I now enjoy. There's something about being herded into the American Airlines Center like cattle, riding a church van for the first time in a long time and standing in very long lines for the bathroom that bonds you with other women.

After the conference, my friend Ashley and I started a standing date to eat before Wednesday night church each week after we realized how much we have in common: we are at the same place in our marriages, we are both fans of Dave Ramsey--the financial genius, we both love to read, etc. I know the Lord has blessed this friendship and I know he will continue to do so.

Wow, I can see by how much I've written today that I'm really excited about the fun that will await me tomorrow! Not to worry--I'm still feeling very good. I will walk slowly, drink plenty of water, eat healthy snacks and there are many sweet friends to make sure the pregnant twin mom will be OK. The dr said this is my last overnight trip like this until after the babies come, so I'm wanting to make the most of it!

No comments: