Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Joys of the library

Yesterday I went to the library in search of books about home decor and crochet. I thought it would be a quick trip because I had a lunch date with the teachers I worked with last year, but I got so engrossed in the books that I was almost late meeting them.

I got pulled into the baby section and found many books to enjoy. The one I'm most excited about from the baby section is entitled House of Testosterone. I was drawn to it immediately. I'll keep you posted if I learn anything interesting from it. I read in another book that baby boys cry more often than baby girls and due to this, are comforted more & receive more attention from their moms. Very interesting.

I didn't find any books about home decor, but that isn't too big of a deal. Our nursery plans are well under way. I did much better in the crafts section. I've decided to take up crochet. April tried to teach me knitting a few years ago and I did great with her sitting beside me, but when trying to figure it out on my own I got frustrated and gave up. Now I'm turning over a new leaf. I bought a wonderful book last weekend that had some wonderful designs that I really want to do.

My favorite is baby hats with sock monkey on them. I'm really wanting to crochet matching ones for all 3 of my boys: John, Walt and Aaron. I'm even thinking about crocheting an extra monkey, making it into a pin and putting it on our diaper backpack. How fun! Unfortunately, I need to do some baby step projects first before I jump into the monkey project. Luckily, the library had just the books to get me "hooking" away. Crocheting dishrags doesn't excite me like sock monkey hats do, but my plan is that by starting small and mastering the basics, those sock monkeys will be just around the corner.

The good thing is, I have some time before the boys arrive and crochet can be a neat way to make myself sit still. According to the book, it's a great way to relax. Knitting was actually the opposite of relaxing for me, but I like to think that crochet can be a soothing, new experience. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I wish we could crochet together! I enjoyed doing that so much before Lance was born. No time for that anymore though!