Monday, December 31, 2012

A quiet celebration

I whine enough on this blog, so I thought I would take a quick moment and share a quiet celebration.

My in-laws visited for a few days and left yesterday.  They are really wonderful people--I'm very blessed.  The irony is that even though they are fantastic, I have a tendency to get all weird b/c I feel like I have to impress them.  Still.  After 10 years of marriage and giving them 3 grandsons, I feel like I have to meet this fictitious standard of perfection in front of them.  Things like having a sparkling house, well-behaved children, delicious meals and merry-making all around.

What?  Where did that odd idea come from?  Not them.  My MIL regularly reminds me that when her kids were little it was tough for her to keep up with all the laundry, cleaning,etc that goes along with motherhood.

Here comes the celebration:  I relaxed and enjoyed their visit.  My house was clean enough for all to be comfortable.  My boys were themselves and were loved just as they are.  I will say I rocked the food element.  I made a gnocchi dish for supper that was very popular.  I baked pumpkin bread that was also good.  I even served cookies and kale chips that I had made.  All very well accepted.  In my own foodie health nut way, I was a good hostess.  I also made gallons of coffee.

More than anything else, I just stepped back and let my in-laws enjoy their time here.  I tried to not hover and just let people be.  Very, very good.

One other small celebration--last night got a bit chaotic with taking down the tree and putting away decorations.  Before starting supper, I took some time to recharge.  I read a new cookbook I got for Christmas.  After that 10 minutes, I was ready to go again and was much more pleasant.  It's tricky to know what's going to help me relax but I'm getting better at it, much to Aaron's delight.

No comments: