Tuesday, December 4, 2012

New #33--car care

I decided to replace my current #33 (find a pulled pork recipe we love) with something much more pressing:  Know how to maintain my vehicle.

This summer, I had a flat and couldn't fix it.  A kind stranger saved the day.  Today I had a low tire, pulled into a gas station, plugged .75 3 times while my husband talked me through how to air it up.  I realized tearfully that the tire was completely flat.  No air had entered the tire.  My boys were in the car, waiting for me to fix the tire. My husband works 45 minutes away from where I was.  Not good.

A kind cable guy pulled up and asked politely if I needed help.  Yes.  He told me to pull through to a better air pump.  That sounded odd since a Waffle House was in the direction he was pointing.  He told me to wait a second while he made sure there was help there.  OK.  He drove back and told me to pull into the spot by the state inspection.  OK.

It was a tire lube place.  They directed me in, aired up the tire and sent me on my way in less than 5 minutes.  The cable guy even waited to be sure I was OK.  How sweet is that?  Sometimes it really is nice to live in a small town.

My dad raised me to be a princess.  He did my car stuff for me and thought if I knew how to call AAA I was equipped for whatever car issue came my way. 

My husband's family doesn't work that way.  They don't cry when something breaks--they fix it.  We've been married almost 10 years and Aaron didn't know I didn't know how to use the air compressor.  I'll be sure he teaches me very soon.

After the flat last summer, I asked him to watch the boys inside so I could use the car manual and figure out where my flat is (not easy), get it out and get it ready to change.  I'm not confident I'm strong enough to get the lug nuts off the tire, but I do know how to get the flat out.  We should probably practice with the jack while we're doing the air compressor lesson.  Such fun being a grown-up.

No comments: