Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The holiday aftermath

As a conclusion from my previous angry car post, it turns out my tire had a tear in it.  Somehow we limped to my parents' house, airing the tire up every 30 minutes.  Super fun.  Instead of an almost 4 hour drive, it was 5.  I can't complain too loud because A-we made it there and B-we made it to a tire place that was open and was able to replace the tire.  Much better than possible alternatives.  Still makes me grouchy thinking about it, though.

Today the holiday aftermath is in full force.  As a rule I make breakfast before I do much on the computer, but today I'm breaking my rule.  I wanted to take a moment to share my thoughts with the hope that getting them out I'll be a more cheerful mom.

Aaron gently got onto me for being grouchy this morning.  In my defense, as I write this, I have a whiny 3 year old complaining that dad didn't let him try his mashed potatoes while he packed up his lunch. 

The mornings are tricky for me.  I really am a morning person, but I get up at 5:30 so I can spend some time with the Lord before the day really gets going.  The trouble is that my boys get up between 5:15 and 6.  On good days they leave me in peace but on days like today, they don't.  Yes, I know that as parents we could make the rule that they can't leave their rooms until a certain time.  We're close to that.  I think I may campaign for it for 2013.  We'll just see.

Back to today.  We celebrated Christmas Day with my parents on Christmas Eve and then came back home that afternoon.  A winter storm was headed this direction and we wanted to beat it home.  Good choice except that I got the mother of all stomach bugs the night before Christmas Eve.  Yuck.  Made for a not so fun Christmas celebration for me, but life went on.

On the spiritual side of life, I had a wonderful Christmas.  I got to worship in my parents' church on the 23rd and it was a great time with the Lord.

I just wish the aftermath of Christmas with little kids didn't involve extra tears due to tired boys, extra clean-up due to new toys and extra energy on my part to juggle all this which I have to find somewhere.

Aaron very kindly let me go to the movies yesterday afternoon.  I really wanted to see Les Mis and I packed up to go.  I got there and it was sold out.  Huge bummer.  I've actually read the book, seen it onstage a few times and have the piano music.  I love the drama of it and was really excited to see it.  Being so close but missing it made me even grumpier than what I would have been cooped up in my house dealing with the afore mentioned headaches of these days.  Oh well.  Such is the human condition.  I can be thankful for a warm house, healthy kids and a job that my husband can go to so we can be provided for.

My prayer for today:  Lord, give me an extra measure of patience.  Help me be kind and loving to my boys.

Time to cook the eggs.

No comments: