Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Whistling toilets

I aspire to be a great wife.  I wonder if I'll ever get to check that one.  I could check it in lovely moments, but then I would have to mark it back out when I become naggish, haughty or selfish again.  Notice I wrote when, not if.

We have a toilet that runs all the time.  In my non-fixing mindset, this should be an easy fix.  Tweak whatever isn't working right and go down our merry way.  Aaron purchased the part he thought was needed, switched it out and nope.  Instead of running all the time, it ran as well as whistled.  Great.

Every time I hear it whistle I feel irritation.  I know he's busy.  I know he works hard at his job and when we get home from soccer practice he doesn't want to lay on the floor of the bathroom and fiddle with parts that aren't working right.

So when I hear the whistle, I make an effort to not let it effect me.  It will get fixed.  Our life is good.  My husband is a blessing.  I get to choose if the whistling toilet will bother my day or not. In this moment, I can check off that I'm a great wife.  The trick is to keep making that choice.  I think maturity is knowing how to stay in the mindset of being thankful and not letting my selfishness shine on through.

I read a great thought on this:  "Perhaps God created marriage not to make us happy, but to make us holy."  Yowsers.  That got me between the eyes.  You mean, it's not all about me all the time?  Just maybe, it's about becoming more like Christ? 

Hmmm...I don't think Jesus would whine about a whistling toilet.

As I write this, my youngest is pretending it's nighttime so he's changed into his Superman PJs while the twins play loudly with trains.  And there's the whistle again.  Sweet thoughts, sweet thoughts...

No comments: