Friday, September 21, 2012

Taking a deep breath

I felt guilty yesterday that during Mom's Day Out I just relaxed and read for a bit.  I'm not good at relaxing.  At all.  I feel like I should always be charging forward, making this world a better place.  I'm slowly learning that when I take the time to stop, recharge my batteries and get rested, I'm much more effective and pleasant to be around when I do charge forward again.

Last weekend my brother got married.  Joyous event, but with my 3 young kids with me, I had to do a lot of herding and shushing instead of just enjoying the moment as I would have liked.  Taking the time to take a deep breath yesterday helped me recharge my batteries that got pretty depleted with the kid wrangling and managing family dynamics.

My big boys are also in soccer for the first time.  It's not easy.  They're not used to standing still and being in one place for set periods of time.  They're also not at all used to ball control which causes lots of frustration for them and I cringe on the side lines as I watch them.

I'm learning an important lesson with this:  not being great at something is a hard lesson for them to learn and a hard thing for me to watch.  However, this is life.  I know people who are really gifted at one thing and they love it.  I, on the other hand, am OK at many things, but I love those things.  I'm not a great pianist, but I love playing.  It makes me happy.  I love tennis and it's fun for me to bounce a ball off the garage door while the boys play.  I wouldn't win a match against anyone except from time to time the Wii, but I like it.  I want my boys to learn that this world is full of lots of things to enjoy but it's OK to just have fun with them.

No comments: