Wednesday, September 26, 2012

True unity

I'm in a ladies' bible study that I love.  This year, we're studying the book of Acts.  The way this study works is that we meet together at the beginning and ending as a large group and then break into core groups to discuss the week's lesson.

We sing to begin those large group times.  I love music.  I have learned that loving music isn't the same as being a gifted musician.  Yes, I sing well and have a strong voice, but it's not the loveliest voice in my church choir.  I play the piano, but have never learned to perfect pieces and be an excellent performer.  I've never really learned to control my nerves.

Today the group's usual pianist was gone and I was asked to step in for her.  Granted, I only got the music yesterday, but it wasn't beyond my skill level.  However, I still did not play it perfectly.

I had warned the music leader that I play well, but keeping a steady beat isn't my strong suit.  I play to enjoy the music and worship the Lord.  She was kind and appreciated my willingness to help out.

All this to say that today we studied the passage in Acts in which the early church is described.  They had complete unity in all things.  They held on to material possessions loosely so that they could share equally.

How often do I do that?  Today I went outside of my comfort zone a bit to play the piano while we sang.  The worship was rich even if my playing wasn't perfect.  The point isn't my glory--it's the Lord's.  I'm glad my willingness glorified Him.

It makes me wonder what other things I hold on to too tightly.  The list is long.  My prayer is that I can be aware of what things I need to loosen my grasp on so that I can shine God's light to others.

Last Wednesday night I had the unexpected surprise of teaching a missions class (30 minutes) to some kids at church.  I told the kids about it the week before but there wasn't much interest.  I didn't think the class would make.  But it did.  So, for the next 5 weeks I get to teach a handful of really motivated and sweet kids some Spanish.  I love Spanish.  My passion in Spanish is to teach kids that the world is bigger than what we see every day.  There's a world out there that needs to know that Jesus loves them and they need to hear it in a language other than English.

Tonight I'll teach them the numbers and begin with the colors.  We'll also discuss Jesus' love.  It will be a blessing to them but also to me as I get to use my Spanish again.

I'm choosing to loosen my grip a bit on my Spanish skill to share it with the children of our church.  I'm glad I speak and teach Spanish better than I play the piano.

No comments: