Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cake decorating

We have all 3 boy birthdays in September.  In the past, I've ordered cakes for the birthday parties and have been happy with that.  This year, I'm going to take a baby step towards achieving one of my goals:  decorating cakes.

I've decided all 3 boys will be honored on a Friday in Sept.  Youngest's actual birthday falls on this Friday, so his day is just a few days away.  We'll eat lunch at a spot of his choosing--McDonald's with the play place--and for dinner I'll cook his meal of choice.  For dessert, we'll have a special cake for him.  This will be repeated with his brothers.

I asked the boys what cakes they wanted.
Boy 3:  Mater.
Boy 1:  Fire truck cake
Boy 2:  McQueen

I got registered on Pinterest (besides my better judgment because I've heard it referred to as "crack cocaine for Christian chicks" and I felt it best to avoid such) but I felt like I HAD to or my boys would be neglected in their cakes.

I got on and quickly realized I didn't want to get sucked in to the world of fancy cake decorating at this moment in my life.  I did, however see some really cool monster truck cakes that would basically require me to bake a sheet cake--easy--and ice it like a track.  Then, put real monster truck toy cars on it.  This I can do.

I craftily led Boy 3 to see how fun a monster truck cake could be instead of Mater.  Boy 2 quickly decided he wanted, one, too.  Boy 1 stuck to a fire truck, but that's OK.

Today I got the supplies I need to create this cake.  I warned Aaron that even if this is a huge bust he's not to laugh or encourage the boys to laugh at me.  I'm trying my best here.  I'll keep you posted on the progress.

No comments: