Monday, September 3, 2012

Learning about Grandma

This morning my parents stopped in a for visit.  While they were here I picked my mom's brain about my grandma.  I was close to my maternal grandma.  She was a hoot.  One of my favorite people I've ever known.  She passed away when I was 20.  I really wish she could have met my husband and my boys.  She would have "eaten them up with a spoon."  I do believe that as she's in heaven, singing with the angels, she looks down at us and just smiles.  Anyway--back to today.  What a great moment in time to sit and chat with Mom about her Mom.  If you haven't done this, do it.  We both had a wonderful time remembering my grandma.

I now have enough to begin working on my short story.  Aaron told me he's glad I'm doing this.  That's good because I'm an idea person but the execution of said ideas isn't my strong suit.  He often has to pick up the pieces when I overcommit or say "yes" too often.  But this idea is good.  I love that I'm itching a part of my brain--the creative side--that I don't often use in the day to day of raising young boys.  Yes, I have to be creative to keep them from killing each other regularly, but that's different than this creativity.

My plan is pretty simple:  sit down with my notes I took from Mom and write a piece about how cool my grandma was.  After that, proofread it and edit it to make it better.  Sit on it for a few weeks and then revisit it.

At that point, post it here and let my readers enjoy how cool Grandma was.  After that, submit it to the competition.  I'm not hoping to publish my story or pursue anything further.  Just enjoy my memories of Grandma and it will be nice to check off goal #28 at the same time.

No comments: