Monday, September 24, 2012

Beauty that doesn't fade

I was reading an article about Soul Beauty in HomeLife Magazine the other day and I wanted to share the message along to you.  The article was written by Dr. Bisignano and I thought by putting it out here, more could be blessed by it and I could add my thoughts as well.

Beauty is often measured by an earthly standard and we often feel lacking.  Our hair isn't right--too curly, too straight or too something else.  Mine is too poofy.  Our bodies aren't right.  Our houses, clothes, cars, etc just don't measure up.  However, Dr Bisignano points out that God has created each woman unique and beautiful.  He looks at us and smiles.

Even more than what the world sees when they look at us, soul beauty comes from the inside and radiates outward.  I see that in my boys when they get really excited about something they're telling me.  Their eyes light up and they just radiate joy. 

Earthly beauty fades;  don't let your identity be found in it.  5 years ago I had no grey.  Now, they're coming with a vengence.  I've always been a redhead and that's part of my identity.  It strikes me that one day, I won't be and it seems like it could be tomorrow.  Yes, I could color my hair but the thought doesn't appeal to me.  I've heard that there's a lot of money, time and effort involved to match red.  As of now, I'm choosing to let the red and grey mix peacefully.  We'll see if that lasts.  All that to say that I'm starting to see that my identity has been wrapped up in my appearance and God's plan is for us to find our identity through godly character.

Lastly, beauty is also found in who you're becoming.  This last point struck me with this season of the year.  I'm in MOPs, Mothers of Preschoolers, and each year we get new Discussion Groups.  Right now, our groups are very young.  We're building the foundation of trust and sharing.  We'll build on these foundations through the year as we share our ups and downs.  I'll be honest--I don't like this stage of relationships.  It's like being on a first date, all awkward and not knowing if you can really invest yet in the other person.  I like the comfort of later in a relationship where there are shared jokes and a peaceful feeling when you're together. 

If you think of relationships like a building, the foundation has to be strong so that the walls and roof can be built.  I love the stained glass--the really sweet moments in relationships when a moment is shared.  I have to remind myself that if I invest in these new relationships, blessings will come.  It's like reaping what we sow.  If I sow the seeds of friendship and connection, I'll reap such benefits before long.

As a parting thought, remember today that you're beautiful.  Your beauty is outward because God only creates beauty but your inward beauty is so much more. Share your beauty.  Use it to radiate God's love to others.

No comments: