Monday, April 1, 2013

Chores

As I write this, sausage is browning for the lasagne I had planned on making a double recipe of.  A MOPs friend had a baby and I'm giving her a pan of lasagne on Wednesday night.  Unfortunately, I had already started the sausage when I realized I had forgotten to buy lasagne noodles at the store.  Dad gum.  Good thing I can pick some up tomorrow and swap tonight's meal for tomorrow's.  Never fear--her meal will still be ready Wednesday.

My twins are at an age when a small disappointment like this one is a huge deal, oftentimes erupting into a huge emotional downpour.  Today I get to model that yes, I'm frustrated but I'm going to choose not to throw a toy across the room.

The picture above is my almost proud moment of the day.  This morning I had a MOPs meeting with a few of the other leaders.  3 of the moms were able to come, bringing an assortment of little people with them. 

It's funny--I always tell the leaders not to worry about cleaning up their home when other moms are coming over because no one notices.  But yet, here I was, stressing out about my house when I knew they were coming over today.  In my defense, Monday is cleaning day so it really needed to be done anyway.

My twins are at an age where they can actually help pretty well but they're starting to figure out that housework isn't all that fun.  #3 is not really able to be helpful yet.  Today I put their clothes pins with their names on them next to a chore.  They had to do the chore and then I moved them all down.  In theory, this was a wonderful plan.  It was OK.  The truth is that I haven't put in the time to really teach them what each of these tasks looks like and expected them to master them.  That takes lots of patience that I just didn't have today.

I need to do that so that the cleaning time will go more smoothly and I can hold them accountable for a job well done.  I'll do it soon.

The meeting went well, except for the fact that my boys were toots and wouldn't leave me alone.  Huge frustration for me.  It was a reminder that I can be a great mom or I can focus on leading a MOPs meeting.  Doing both at the same time is just really hard.

No comments: