Friday, April 26, 2013

Pride in sushi

Yesterday I went to the swanky (I love that word.  If you're unfamiliar, it's my way to say something is super fancy) grocery store on the other side of town.  The whole place just exudes this cool vibe, like I've walked into a really neat music video or something.

I don't go there often, but it's fun to pop in from time to time.  They also have a great sushi bar.  I love sushi, so I happily got lunch there.  The sushi chef was an inspiration to me.  We'll call him Yuri.  Not sure that's his name, but I think I saw it on his name tag.  His English wasn't great which always frustrates me. 

Since I speak Spanish, when there's a language issue, I always think I can speak Spanish and fix the communication barrier.  Clearly, this is unwise.  I did this once with a neighbor who was deaf.  Not helpful.  I also did it once at the elementary school where I worked.  I was answering the phones one day for the secretary, thinking I was great at it until a got a phone call with communication trouble.  I immediately went into Spanish.  Didn't help.  I spoke louder and slower in Spanish.  Still didn't help.  I finally realized the man was speaking in English with an Indian accent.  I felt super foolish.  Oh well.

I'm proud to say I've learned from my mistake and didn't try to speak to Yuri in Spanish.  He asked if I wanted this roll or that roll but I never quite figured out what kind they were.  I caught that one was spicy and the other not.  When I asked about it, he automatically assumed I wanted it and with impressive flourish, he fancified it and made it was beautiful.

Instead of making a big deal about not wanting that roll, I chose to try it, whatever it was.  If he was that proud of it, it couldn't be bad.  I chose not to blow the situation out of proportion and admire the pride Yuri had in his craft.  Very cool.

It made me think of my own sons and how proud they are of the projects they work on.  Mine are fixers and they love nothing more than creating a way to repair a situation. 

It made me wonder what I do in my life that I'm proud of.  Am I like Yuri, that beams with pride in my creations?  I was convicted that more times than not, my attitude is rather negative and I drag my feet through my days.  Why?  With all that God has blessed me with, I should be a songbird chirping joyfully all day long.

In this moment, I choose to be thankful and I'll try to be thankful in the next moment, too.

No comments: