Sunday, February 17, 2013

The greatness of Sundays

As I write this, my boys are "working" with Aaron outside.  He's working on fence and they are very involved in whatever work they create for themselves.  I call us "free range parents" when it comes to being at the farm.  We just let the boys go.  They climb fence, dig stuff up, move fallen trees (small ones--they're not Paul Bunyons).  And they love it.

I made a token wife appearance at the farm to appease husband and I do like to see the lambs--there are 3 now--but it's very windy.  I was very happy no one wanted to come back to the house with me.  So, I'm sitting in silence, sucking on a cherry lollipop and pondering over the greatness that is Sunday.

Sundays are great.  I love our church.  Going there is a joy for me.  Pre-kids we would go out to eat for Sunday lunch.  It was nice.  And then kids came.  We did takeout for a while, but now that Aaron is losing weight that has stopped.  So, I do a crockpot meal.  Today I made a chicken tortilla soup that turned out well. 

I've since written a letter to a dear friend who lives far away, lingered over the Sunday paper, put together a sophisticated pork dish for supper that can cook all afternoon and be delicious later.

And the phone rang.  Husband calling telling me #3 is done at the farm, to watch for him as he comes back.  Did it.  Another call.  #2 headed my way.

So much for silence.  Sunday is still nice, just a bit noisier now.

No comments: