Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Scrapbooking dilemma

I've discovered that even though I enjoy scrapbooking, I don't enjoy "documenting" our family events.  Fall and Halloween pictures are always fun for me, but Christmas pics don't capture the spirit of the season for me so my Christmas pages aren't my faves.  I'm going to see if I change that with the 2012 pages.

My twins played soccer for the first time last fall and suffice it to say it wasn't a hit.  We finished the season and have tons of pictures to show for it, but the boys didn't excel at it nor did they enjoy it very much.

I'm poised to scrapbook on the fun soccer paper, but it feels dishonest to do these sparkling pages about something that was good and a growing experience, but not some rock star event for our family.

OK I'll be honest.  I don't want to do soccer again.  I want to NOT do it again because even though the boys don't recall how badly they behaved during practice (props to husband here who made them run wind sprints during practice when they misbehaved) and how much they didn't participate in the games, I do.  And I don't want to do it again.

Just today #2 told me he wants to play soccer again.  Yikes.  I really thought he would remember not enjoying it.  Nope.

Where is the justice?

As a rule after I finish some pages, the boys sit with me and we go through all the pages in that album.  I'm tempted to go ahead and scrap the memories as are true but maybe not share the soccer pages with the boys for a while.  Anyone think that makes me a mean mom?

---

After I posted this, I fed my family and sent the boys to bed.  I then undertook the task of scrapbooking my soccer pages.  It was fine.  I put in the pictures, wrote in some brief captions, added a few stickers and then wrote in the lessons our family learned.  They are as follows:
Do your best.
Be a team player.
Yes, the dirt mound is interesting.  (It was on the side of the field and my boys were way more interested in it than the actual game.  Other parents forbid their kids from playing on the mound, but ours loved looking for fossils.  We used it as a bribe to get them to start the game on the field).
Finish what you start.  (Boy, did they want to quit).
Dress warm on cold days.
Dad will make you run if you misbehave.
Mom gets grumpy if you misbehave.
Shin guards are irritating.
It's good to put on love to others players.
"Wow!  That #7 is all over the field!"-- said by Rowdy's dad at the first game.  Both twins had a #7 on his jersey and the dad didn't know there were twins.

No comments: