Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thanks for nothing, Starbucks

I'm starting to see that marketing has way too much power over me.  And I want it to stop.  Just as my goal is that my boys' behavior doesn't dictation my mood, I don't want some marketer to dictate my emotions.

I have this weird expectation that each season should feel a certain way.  This is most noticable at Christmas.  Every year we've been married I've been disappointed after Christmas because it just didn't "feel right."  This always confused my husband.  What was it supposed to feel like?  How did it miss?  I couldn't even say how, but it just did.  Silly.

I noticed this year that I expected fall to feel a certain way.  Why?  I wasn't sure.  Now I do.  I bought into some savvy marketing from Starbucks.  If I didn't have a pumpkin spice latte in my hand, fall just couldn't be fantastic.  So I bought pumpkin spice coffee for my coffee maker, sure that would do the trick.  Didn't. 

Now I'm seeing the error of my ways.  Aaron has the right idea--enjoy the day.  Don't expect certain feelings to be there.  Just live the life God calls you to.

How freeing.  Wish I could live on a desert island so I don't have to be bombarded with all the marketing around me.  Oh well.  Such is life.

No comments: