Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I love VBS!

There are many things in this world that I love:  the smell of coffee, crunchy apples, freshly baked bread, the sound of voices blending in harmony while singing praise to Jesus and connecting with others. 

VBS is also on my short list of things I love.  Always have.  It's a time we open the doors to the church and welcome everyone in.  It's a week-long party, Baptist style.

My boys love it.  They love the music, the games, the crafts, the bible stories and fun with their friends.  They love the teenagers that are silly and fun.  They love the decorations all around the church.  It's so neat to watch them so fully enjoy church.

As a grown-up, I'm also really enjoying VBS.  Above is a picture of me and my friend, Chris, on crazy hair night.  Her wig was fantastic!  At the party store I opted for a more subdued option of a headband with crazy blue hair springing up.  My third son was very impressed with my crazy hair as were the kids I taught Missions to.

I love teaching.  Even more than that, I love sharing my passions in the hope of igniting the passions of others.  I have always had a heart for missions.  This world is full of such hurt, pain and disappointment.  The hope is Jesus Christ.  I remember back when I was a youth my youth minister nicknamed me Paul because I felt such a burden to share God's love with others.

This week, I get to share my passion with these kids.  I love it.  The lesson I put together is about 2 missionary families and how they boldly share God's love with those around them.  It's tricky sharing this because I know most of the kids at VBS have heard about Jesus' love, but many haven't.  The message to teach is that they are called to share God's love and the hope of Jesus, too.  I'm depending on the Holy Spirit to guide me as I teach each of these groups.

Last night with one group, I felt the nudging of the Holy Spirit to spend more time on what it means to be like Paul--change from being someone who doesn't know the love of Christ to someone who confesses his sin and accepts God's love in his life.  I had that beautiful moment as a teacher when I saw light bulbs come on in their eyes when they understood what I was talking about.  Very, very cool.

VBS is lots of work.  My boys are worn out from so many nights in a row out past their bedtime.  I'm tired, too.  But as a church, we are joining together to make something really fantastic:  an opportunity for kids to have a great experience in church.  A time of fun, laughter and excitement while they learn about Jesus' love for them.

No comments: