Friday, June 7, 2013

The beauty of the frame

For the past few days, I've been kid-free.  I called my fabulous mother-in-law on Sunday, hoping that her schedule would allow for her to have some time with my boys so I could have a break.  Our trip to the beach was great, but it left me worn out.  The boys needed a break from me, too.  Happily, she was available and they've had a great time at Camp Nana.  It's been wonderful for me.

I've been able to take a slower pace than normal and just be.  Being is not something I'm good at, but I'm proud to say I'm getting better.  I've played the piano and sung favorite songs--loudly.  I play the piano sometimes with my boys, but I allow them to play also which I think is neat, except that what they create is a far cry from music that soothes my soul.  I've read books and magazine articles, I've shopped, I got a hair cut, I renewed my driver's license, I did an errand that has literally been on my to do list since June 2012, I got a great new pear of jeans, had my oil changed, enjoyed cooking an omelete and I've watched plenty of my favorite shows.

It's been good.  No, great.  I've also had amazing quiet times.  I want to share a lovely illustration I read in my book I'm currently studying:  Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow.  The book is one I've been meaning to read for a few years and I'm so glad I decided to do it now.

The chapter has to do with being content with the way God made you.  She uses Psalm 139 as her basis.  I love that chapter.  She encourages us to think of ourselves as a painting, hanging on the wall for the world to see.  The frame is what we start with--our physical characteristics, our personality, gifts and abilities.  What's inside the frame is who we are today.  God created the background and the brushstrokes show how God is working in you.  If you yield to his artistry, Christ's character will be reflected.

The question that arises from this beautiful illustration is this:  when someone sees the masterpiece that God made in me, what do they see?  Christ's character or frantic activity?  Do I paint with the color of character or accomplishment?  Do I focus so much on the frame (wanting to change myself) that I miss out on what's in the portrait?

Army Wives is a show I watched for one season.  It was interesting, but I quickly figured out that it was going deep into waters I choose to not let my thought life swim in--adultry, namely.  But I do remember one of the characters also making reference to a portrait.  She said her husband was the frame that supported her while she was free to show her best self in the portrait.  At the time, I was newly married and thought that mental image was great.  As an illustration of marriage, I still think it has validity.

However, Dillow's illustration is biblical and liberating.  I've already arrived.  I don't have to be a better mom with perfectly behaved kids, every meal nutritional, have a sparkling home and always something witty and charming to say.  I can just be me.  Quirky, deep thinking, softed-hearted me.  God created my frame that way.  He bedazzles some, others are rustic and made of rought iron while still others are not ones you see on the shelves at Michael's.  But He made them all.  The key to finding contment is accepting the frame God chose when He created me, celebrating it and using it for His glory.  My frame is very different than my boys' and my husband's.  Very different than my family.  Similar to my sister-in-law, but still unique.  Unique is good.

Today I go for my boys.  I'm ready to see their sweet faces again.  I'm recharged, ready to start swim lessons with them next week.  It was really good to take a deep breath and have some down time.  God used this time to pat me on the back and remind me that regardless of the season I'm in, He created me just the way He wanted and He thinks I'm wonderful.

No comments: