Thursday, July 18, 2013

Shamefully prissy noises

I'm many things.  Talkative, optimistic, boisterous, inquisitive are a few that come to mind.  Tough?  Not really.  I was raised to be more of a princess than a field hand.  Unfortunately, I married a man who despite wooing a princess, he really wanted to marry a field hand.  So, in marriage I'm learning how to do such glamorous things, like fix fences, herd cattle and wrestle fish.

We were fishing the other day at our pond when a neighbor came out and needed to talk to Aaron.  Before I realized what was happening, Aaron had disappeared across the fence with the neighbor and I was left alone with the 3 boys on a small dock.  I had a fleeting moment of what I would do if:  one fell in, they all fell in or heaven forbid, one caught a fish.  I know how to swim, but dealing with fish is a new kind of adventure.

I have to brag on myself--I took a deep breath and enjoyed the time fishing with the boys.  They didn't catch anything in Aaron's absence except the dock a few times and unfortunately me once.  Luckily, no blood was drawn.  We had fun.

When Aaron came back he cast lines for the boys and all of a sudden, they all caught fish.  I dutifully went about taking hooks out of fish mouths which I'm still very new at.  I make this ridiculous prissy noise when I touch fish.  I'm not proud of the sound, but ick.  They're slippery and slimy.  #1 was helping me with my task.  When I made that silly sound, he asked, "Mommy, is that noise Spanish for Daddy, please help?"

If you would have told me 10 years ago that this moment would be on my short list of favorite parenting moments I would have laughed at you, but so it is.

Maybe one day "tough" will be in the list of adjectives I use to describe myself.  

No comments: