Monday, October 15, 2012

Remembering Grandma Leslie


I sat down to write my short story entry for the story competition.  I was pleased with it, but I realized pretty quickly it wasn't really a short story.  

I'm disappointed that I don't have an idea for the story competition, but I decided to go ahead and post what I wrote here.

Today is my Grandma Leslie's birthday.  She passed away about 15 years ago and I miss her.  Writing this was a neat way to celebrate her memory. 

Even though I won't submit it for the competition, I'm glad I took a moment to write it.  I decided to go ahead and post it here to celebrate her legacy with you.

A Legacy to Continue

There are many legacies we can leave future generations. Hard work, a dedication to truth, a passion for serving God and a love for the land are qualities I admire and hope to leave to my children and future grandchildren. However, when I think of my own Grandma Leslie, the legacy that makes me smile is her ability to be tougher than any situation that faced her.

I loved my grandma and enjoyed a special relationship with her. She was always my cheerleader and made me feel like I was the most special person she knew. She passed away about ten years ago now and I miss her. She passed away before I met my husband or had my sons. She would have loved them all very much. It saddens me that she never had to joy of knowing them. More than that, I regret I didn't get to pick her brain with mothering questions. She had a wealth of knowledge that I wish I could have asked her about.

Grandma had 12 brothers and sisters. She grew up in rural Kansas. My favorite story about her happened soon after she married my grandpa. They were visiting my grandpa's parents' home which was on a farm. As she walked outside, a snake fell off the roof of the house and landed around her neck.

Had this happened to me, I would have yelled like a crazy woman and made all kinds of racket. I can see myself jumping up and down. There would be tears. I would fully expect my husband to rescue me from imminent danger.

However, Marjorie Leslie was made of sterner stuff than me. She simply grabbed the snake and slung it across the yard. Didn't even slow her down. Had there been Facebook back then, I doubt she would have even posted the event. She just took it in stride.

As a mom of 3 young boys, I'm learning that I'm tougher than I think I am. I chased a lizard out of our house the other day with a broom. Grandma would have been proud. There were no tears—I wanted my boys to see a brave woman who could keep it together. Afterwards, John, age 4, commented, “Mom, it's a good thing we didn't have to call animal control.” I doubt they come out for a small lizard, but still good to know that I could be tough when called upon.

Grandma Leslie is one of those people who truly blessed every person who knew her. I'm proud to be her granddaughter, carrying on her legacy to be tougher than the bumps that might come my way. I'm hoping no snakes fall around my neck any day soon. If they do, Facebook will hear about it . However, I like to think that through it and other challenges that come my way, my boys will see a toughness in me that inspires them to face this world with a confidence, just like the legacy that my Grandma left to me.

No comments: