Saturday, May 30, 2020

Good-bye cello

I grew up in a family that valued music, specifically playing the piano.  At age 4 I began lessons and continued through college.

My grandmother had been a piano teacher and my parents had both taken piano lessons as children but not taken lessons long enough to really be able to play.  They both regretted quitting and were determined their own kids wouldn't make that decision.

My brother, 2 years older, was very good at piano.  He had long fingers and a natural way with the keys.  I'm short and have small hands.  I'm not so naturally gifted.  However, I learned to love the piano and I never asked to quit lessons.  As an adult I still play the piano regularly.  My brother hated practicing and quit in middle school.

Growing up I went to a huge high school where there were lots of opportunities but you had to be very good to make any teams.  I chose to join the choir and had lots of great experiences performing and doing fun things.  I was also active in the theater department.  I was in musicals and competed in acting and debate competitions.  However, if I could turn back time I would have joined the orchestra or band.

My husband went to a smaller school and had different experiences.  He played the trumpet.  Now, he plays the trumpet at church from time to time but as an adult he has picked up and learned to play the tuba.  He loves playing the tuba.  He plays it weekly at church and my boys love that he can help them as they're learning brass instruments.

A few years ago I decided I wanted to learn to play the cello.  I've always loved the sound of the cello.  For my birthday I got a cello from Amazon.  It was the cheapest possible kind and just a little too big for me.  It was very hard to tune and once my husband would tune it the tuning would slip out very quickly.  I could only play when my husband was home and able to take the time to tune it.  Annoying.

I play guitar so my fingertips already had callouses and were accustomed to the feel of frets on a cello.  However, using a bow is hard.  Practicing wasn't enjoyable;  it was work.  

Around this time I also started working part time as a bilingual speech therapy assistant.  The job was very challenging and I just didn't have the margin to also have a hobby that beat me down.  Playing the guitar and piano are fun.  The cello wasn't.  So, I put the cello away for a while.

I got the cello back out last fall only to realize that it had broken inside its case.  My father-in-law fixed it and I was ready to go again.  My husband tuned it and set it out for me to start playing. Accidentally I knocked it over and it completely broke in half.  My husband was disappointed (and I think a little mad that I was so clumsy) but I wasn't.  I moved it and it sat in our bedroom, broken, staring dejectedly at me.

I decided looking at a broken cello is depressing and that it's not the time for me to pick it back up.  I told my husband and he was disappointed but not terribly surprised.  I'm taking on new classes with my job that are demanding a lot of me.  I quickly become grouchy and snappy when I'm under stress.  I need hobbies that are relaxing and enjoyable--not frustrating.

Maybe one day I'll pick the cello back up.  (Not that cello--my father-in-law took it to strip it for parts).  I hope one day I'll "get my mad under control" (I'm pretty sure that phrase came from Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood) and I can have a challenging hobby.  Until then I'm going to enjoy blogging, coloring and playing the piano.  I'll just listen to Yo-Yo Ma and the Piano Guys and making listening to the cello my hobby.

No comments: