Monday, May 7, 2018

Roses

It's "Give your teacher a flower day" for teacher appreciation week.  I love this week.  My boys are reminded to do something thoughtful for their teachers.  Very sweet.

Today each boy took roses from our rose bushes outside our house.  My husband is the green thumb and I don't really have an interest.  However, today I offered to "dehead" the rose bushes for him.  Before marrying him I didn't know deadheading was a thing.  He's explained that for roses to bloom again you have to knock off the dead bud.  I asked if there's a wrong way to do this.  No.  I went to work with some kid scissors and a bowl to put the old buds in.

I don't typically enjoy garden work but I really enjoyed this.  It was prayerful for me.  I thanked God for the beauty of the morning, the blessings of a spring day and my family.  As I was cutting some thorns poked me.  It reminded me that in beauty there are also thorns. 

This morning I put the paper towel roll out on the table, thinking my husband would wrap the rose stems in paper towels to avoid my boys from being poked by thorns.  Nope.  One did get poked right before we left and while fixing him a paper towel handle I told him about the classic song "Every Rose Has Its Thorn."  He didn't seem impressed.

The rose bushes are now ready for new roses.  I'm not one who generally stops and admires nature.  It was nice to do it this morning.

No comments: