Thursday, March 22, 2018

My road

I'm really bad at comparing myself to others.  Where do we learn this?  Why do I think I have to be perfect at everything I do?  I don't expect of my kids but somehow I expect it of myself.  Silly.

Last night instead of teaching the kids music at church, someone else taught while I helped with behavior.  Back in the fall, K asked if she could teach the kids a special Mother's Day song.  She is an elementary music teacher and doesn't get to teach this song anymore at school.  She wanted to teach it to our kids.  Lovely.

Last night was her first night with them and she was magical.  I love when I get to watch someone who loves what they do and is really, really good at it.  This was what I saw.

The parent in me was thrilled that my own sons were in the group of kids who were blessed by this lesson about moms.  The insecure perfectionist in me wondered why I'm not as magical as K.

Well, K is a professional music teacher and has been for 25 years.  She has taught this song and huge groups of kids very successfully for many years.  This is what God called her to do and she does it joyfully.

God called me to other things.  Not her things.  I have to remind myself to stay on the road God made for me and not try to jump onto someone else's road.

I wish my road were more glamorous sometimes but I'm learning that contentment with the road God has given me is the lesson I need to learn now.  I'm figuring out a new job.  Not easy.  My boys are moving into a new phase of growing up which requires me to change a bit in the way I parent them.  Boo.  I just barely got a handle on the last phase and no one asked my permission to change things up.

My prayer:  that I can lay my pride down at Jesus's feet and instead of feeling comfort in my own successes, lean into Him to navigate my own road to His glory.

No comments: