Friday, January 19, 2018

Not perfect

I don't know where I got this idea, but I feel like everything I have to do has to be completely perfect all of the time.  Where did I learn that?  More importantly, how can I unlearn it?

I started a new job this week.  I've come to expect the "ick" that comes with all things in this life, especially new things.  Don't get me wrong--I'm still an optimist.  However, this is a fallen world.  We tell our boys "Life ain't fair and the world is mean."  Expecting this world to be perfect is setting yourself up for disappointment.  I do that and then get grumpy about it.  I'm trying to learn to just go with the flow a bit more, accept that all's not perfect and just be happy with my best.  Easier said than done. 

Well, I'm teaching college kids.  This is a new adventure and one I feel mostly qualified for.  No, I feel completely qualified to actually teach this class.  I actually really enjoy the teaching.  For me, the "ick" is the technology.  There's a lot of it and it drains me. 

The good news is that the students are kind and helpful.  I told them I'm really, really good at Spanish and teaching.  Technology is not my strong suit.  They get it and are quick to help out when I ask.  And by golly, I'm learning to be more comfortable with the technology.

So I'm giving myself grace to not be perfect at everything.  Feels good.

No comments: