Saturday, January 13, 2018

New Adventure

I recently realized I'm not doing enough to release emotions that build up in me.  The pace of life I lead is not the pace I think God intended for us:  juggling home, family, church and two new jobs is just hard.  Having "tween" boys doesn't help;  they emit lots of emotions and I find that I can stay calm, but it takes a toll on me emotionally.

It's been a while since I've posted on here.  A friend said her daughter is beginning a blog and I was reminded how much I enjoy writing.  I decided to begin posting again.  It's a great way for me to release the emotions and stress that are making me grouchy.

Since I last posted I worked in a new field and have since decided to leave it.  I don't love that since leaving full-time teaching 10 years ago when my boys were born I haven't landed on my "dream job" back in the work force.  In the past few years I've worked part-time as a Spanish tutor at the local community college, taught elementary Spanish at a homeschool co-op and conducted speech therapy sessions with kids as a therapy assistant.

A few years ago my husband challenged me to decide what I wanted to do outside the home when my youngest began kindergarten.  After reading, praying and soul-searching I knew the specific job wasn't so clear but that it needed to be something that would help make the world better and it should include my ability to use Spanish.  All of the jobs I've done since that time have fit and I've come to learn that while juggling all my other hats, my job outside the home might not be absolutely perfect.

I think the expectation that a job is perfect is unrealistic.  At the end of the day, Christ should fill my needs, not a certain profession.  All that said, I've taken a new job that begins Tuesday.  I am going to be a Spanish instructor at a local community college.  It's the same class I tutored a few years ago but at a different location.  Instead of tutoring, I'll be the instructor.  When tutoring I noticed some trends:  poor study habits, lack of confidence in learning the subject matter and just a general defeatist attitude.  I'm hoping that I can lead this class to not fall into those traps.

I've never taught students older than 6th grade before now, but I have a Master's in Spanish and I know how to teach.  I'm confident I'll figure it out as I go along and if I need help there's a fantastic support system in place.

I'm also substitute teaching.  Wow, that's a special job.  It's tiring and I'm doing it to supplement my income as teaching one section at a community college doesn't pay all that well.  It's a great way to work truly part-time when I choose to but it's lonely and it reminds me of how much I used to love being a part of the community of other teachers at an elementary school.  But those teachers work really hard and put in many, many hours.  I'm just not ready to do all that again when my kids are still at this age. 

So, my new adventure of teaching college kids awaits.  I've printed off the syllabus for the class and prepared for the first class meeting.  Wish me luck!

No comments: