Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Growing in music

I decided yesterday that I need to learn to play a new instrument.  My grandmother, a piano teacher that was of the thought that perfection is the goal of music, would shudder at the thought of me attempting yet another instrument.  I will agree that I play 2 instruments and I'm not an expert at either.  I do, however, thoroughly enjoy both so why not add a third?

I'm encouraging my older boys to start piano lessons next fall.  I've told all 3 boys that my dream for them is that they all can play the piano better than I can.  Granted, I play well.  I can sight read well and accompany at my bible study.  Not perfectly, but I do a darn good job.  I can also transpose into any key.  Very helpful to our guitar player on the praise team.  If they play as well as I do I will be a very happy mom.  But who's stopping me from dreaming big?

Aaron and I both love music.  He is interesting with music.  He loves to analyze how all the parts of an orchestra fit together to make the beautiful sound.  I'm more right brain with it--I love the poetry of music and how it makes me feel.  It's my favorite way to worship the Lord.

As I was talking to the boys about them learning their first instrument, I thought it would be a great time for me to undertake a new instrument as well.  Since I've been married to Aaron, he's taught himself to play the tuba as well as the banjo.  He had piano lessons as a boy and played the trumpet well in high school, but just before the twins were born our church orchestra's tubist was graduating and going off to college, so the call went out for a new tubist.  Aaron decided to be it.  He worked hard to learn bass cleff and he succeeded in playing the tuba.  I love that about him.

About a year ago he watched me play the guitar with the boys.  I hold my fingers on the frets and I let them strum as we would sing.  Aaron wanted to be a part of that, so he decided to learn to play the banjo.  He has.  I've become a better guitar player as we play together from time to time.

A regret I have about high school is that I didn't play in the band or orchestra even though many of my friends did.  I sang in the show choir (jazz hands!) my sophomore year because I wasn't good enough to make the cut for jr and sr year.  (I couldn't do back hand-springs.  Seriously.  It was a huge high school). 

As an adult, I want to play the cello.  I don't want to play it in the church orchestra;  I just want to play because I love the richness of the sound.  I told this to my family at dinner last night and Aaron thought it was a great idea.  He asked why the cello.  I told him that its music makes me feel like a butterfly.  That coming out of the mouth of a 35 year old woman should illicit a laugh, but it didn't.  After dinner, he found a cellist on You Tube to show the boys.  We discussed all about the instrument.  He looked up online how much this ridiculous plan will cost.  I need to save my pennies, but it's doable.

He's also happy because a bluegrass band he likes has records for banjo and cello duets.  He thinks we should tackle one.  Big dreamer, my man.

I love that I'm married to a man that encourages me to be my best.  I love that we share a passion for music.  So much of what I do is drudgery.  That's just life.  Yes, I could say no to more things and that could help.  But this life will have sorrow, toil and gross stuff.  It will miss the mark to perfect happiness.  I know this earth can't give true happiness but I like the thought of doing something so totally just for me. 

I also love that Aaron wants cheer me on to be a butterfly.  What more could a gal ask for?

No comments: