Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Saying good-bye

I have taught elementary school for 5 years. When we found out I was pregnant with twins, Aaron and I decided it was time to resign my position. When I turned in my letter of resignation, I cried. Last night, the faculty of my school got back together for our summer retreat. I joined them so I could say a formal good-bye to everyone. I wanted to have a sense of closure. I actually resigned at the end of summer school and I hadn't made my pregnancy public at the end of school, so as far as many of the other teachers were concerned, I was just gone without a good-bye.

It was emotional to see so many friends, knowing that the joy of teaching and sharing those special moments with them had come to a close. I know I'm opening a very exciting and rewarding new chapter of my life by being a mom, but I still cried when it came my turn to say good-bye. I got so choked up that my principal had to explain (especially to the new teachers) who I was and why I was leaving. All in all, I have a real sense of peace that I gave 5 wonderful years to teaching children and now it's time to get ready to teach my own. I'm just so thankful that the Lord blessed me with such good friends and sweet memories of the classroom.

No comments: