Sunday, February 8, 2015

The joy of receiving

The other day I got a happy surprise:  a stranger paid for my lunch at Chick-fil-a.  Totally unexpected and it made my day.  I went on to pass the kindness on by giving flowers to a friend who had recently had a death in her family.  My youngest son chose the flowers and got to give them to the friend which made it all the more special.

I was feeling great.  I told my husband about the surprise lunch treat and he asked if I had paid for the next car in line.  Nope.  Wasn't even really tempted to do that.  His question made me feel like I had somehow broken a rule and totally robbed the beauty of the gift I was given.

I've been stewing on this for a few days and today I'm posting loud and clear for all the world to read:  it's OK to just accept a gift sometimes.  You don't always have to reciprocate.  I chose to enjoy that meal and ponder the goodness that there still is in this world.  Granted, I felt led to also do a kind deed using that $9 and it was a blessing to a dear friend, but why do I always have to give?

I think there's a time to receive.

Thursday was my turn.  I give to my boys, my husband, my church, my job, my friends, my MOPs group, my bible study, my pets, my community and whoever knows who else and when do I get to receive?  Finally, at Chick-fil-a when a stranger does a kind deed.  Well, amen, sister!  I don't know you, but thank you for the wonderful lunch.  May others be blessed by your kindness and sweet spirit (and may they do it more gracefully and with less guilt than I did).

No comments: